Tuesday, March 12, 2013

When is it Finished?

"Red Striped Tablecloth"
24 x 20

It's a questions that I often struggle with: "When is it finished?" It can be hard to know when you have reached the point that your painting is complete, and it's time to stop. I find that as my painting grows closer and closer to its finish, more and more time elapses between each brush stroke. Before each new stroke, I am asking myself "Will this help the painting, or hurt it?" 

If you are a painter, you probably have experienced the anguish of crossing the line into the dreaded territory of the "over-worked". I know I have. Personally, I love to see the mark of the artist's hand, and a bit of a roadmap into how the paint was put on the canvas. In the painting below, I forced myself to stop while the most decisive brushstrokes in the shutters and facade were still evident. I like the geometry and energy they create, and I think it gives the viewer a stronger insight into my process.

"Front Stoop Garden"
24 x 20
(Sold)

No comments:

Post a Comment