Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Fields of Inspiration

"Field Study"
6 x 6, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2014
I have a growing stack of small plein air paintings that I dare not part with. They are the fruits of my working outdoors, interacting directly with the subject, and "seeing" with all of my senses. Some of them are pictured in this post. No photograph could inform me, no snapshot could inspire me, as these paintings do.

"Study of White Church"'
8 x 6, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2013
I often work from these "sketches" to create larger works back home in my studio. I am not alone in this approach. Charles Movelli has written in his essay "In Praise of the Painterly Painter" that so-called "painterly painters" prefer to work directly from their subject, or from sketches done on the spot. They call these pictures their "brains". Interestingly Morvelli notes that painters rarely sell these pictures. In that regard, he quotes the great English landscape painter John Constable, who said "I don't mind parting with the corn, but not with the field in which it was raised!"

"Hilltown Study"
(c) Lesley Powell 2013
Amen to that sentiment. Here's to the inspiration and cultivation of many more paintings from the acres of my little "fields"!


No comments:

Post a Comment