Saturday, February 7, 2015

Gardening

"Ready to Plant"
14 x 11, oil on canvas
(c) Lesley Powell 2015
The groundhog recently told us that we have six more weeks of winter. Despite what he said, I am thinking of spring! The clay pots stacked in my garage have seemed to be begging for planting season to arrive, and they provided the inspiration for a new series of paintings. I'm sure that the other artists in my studio building thought I was crazy
when they saw me hauling potting soil and garden tools up to my third floor studio. But I was not to be deterred---and I have enjoyed the challenge of making pleasing paintings from simple geometric objects.

"The Kindest Cut"
10 x 10, oil on linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2015
This has been a great series for analyzing color relationships. Not to mention honing my drawing skills. I was so happy to read a comment on my Facebook page about the top painting from fellow artist Ann Watcher: "Subtle, geometric, relaxing and suggestive of spring." Just what I was hoping to achieve.

"Watering Can"
12 x 12, oil on linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2015
Just looking at these garden implements makes me want to get to digging in the dirt! In a few weeks, if the weather will permit that. Meanwhile, you can read more about these paintings here. There is more to be explored in this series, so stay tuned.






No comments:

Post a Comment