Monday, January 4, 2016

Everything's Coming up Roses...

"Heirloom Roses"
16 x 20, Oil on Canvas
(c) Lesley Powell 2016

Available
As you may have noticed, I very rarely paint flowers. And yet I have started the New Year with a whole series of roses. I don't know how it happened--it took me by surprise! I experienced the thrill of discovery, painting something for the first time.


"Three Stems"
8 x 8, Oil on Board
(c) Lesley Powell 2016

SOLD
Henri Matisse said that "There is nothing more difficult for a truly creative painter than to paint a rose, because before he can do so,

he has first to forget all the roses that were ever painted." 


"Soft Pink"
8 x 10, Oil on Board
(c) Lesley Powell 2016

Available
Reader, I tried to make these roses mine. I wiped off and scraped down many times, trying to figure out "How would Lesley paint these roses?", and to put all other images out of my mind. I worked with patience and curiosity. I used studio lighting, and then only natural light. I set up pink roses, then white ones. The paintings finally came together. I hope you will enjoy them!


"My Roses"
8 x 10, Oil on Board
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
Not for Sale

No comments:

Post a Comment