Thursday, March 10, 2016

Bridging the Seine

"Bridging the Seine"
12 x 18, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
SOLD
I don't mind admitting it: I have a fascination with the bridges of Paris. It all started in 2013, when I spent a month in Paris, and had the opportunity to paint on location along the banks of the Seine. What a treat! I did plenty of sketching there, and took a number of reference photos to bring home for future inspiration. 


"Sun on Pont Neuf"
10 x 20, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
SOLD
Did you know that there are twenty three bridges across the Seine, just in the short stretch between the Ile St. Louis and the Eiffel Tower? To me, each bridge seems to have its own

personality. Some of them are staunch and weighty, others are light and elegant. Many are decorated with beautiful statuary, and trimmed with gorgeous architectural details. Together, they make a wonderful ensemble.


"Pont Alexandre III, Towards Les Invalides"
12 x 16, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
SOLD
I plan to return to Paris this year, and you can be sure that I will find new inspiration along the banks of the Seine. Meanwhile, I have been warming up in my studio, painting from the reference materials I captured earlier. I've illustrated this post with a few of the results---enjoy!


"Reflections at Pont Neuf"
18 x 18, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
SOLD


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Leslie! Thanks for taking me back to Paris!

    ReplyDelete