Saturday, May 14, 2016

Propped Up



I often paint in a smallish format--works whose largest dimension are, say, 14 or fewer inches. Sometimes I paint larger, but my heart eventually returns to the little ones.  But make no mistake: a painting that is small in size can be monumental in artistry and impact!

So what can you do with a painting that is not designed to fit over a mantle or a sofa? Lots! In fact, a recent issue of House Beautiful caught my eye. The cover featured a beautiful little painting propped on the mantle. That's one of my favorite art placements. It speaks to me of abundance and plenty, as in "Gosh I have so much beautiful art that I've run out of wall space, so I'll just prop this one here". And the casual placement exudes ease and relaxation.


Photo: Suzanne Kasler
Photo: Suzanne Kasler

Here are more examples of art propped on a mantle, from Atlanta designer Suzanne Kasler. In the top image, I think the propped artwork gives a bit of a bohemian atelier feel to this otherwise quite formal living room. And the second image---well, it's definitely drool-worthy, and the painting propped on the mantle is the piece de resistance.


Photo: Traci Zeller

And of course a mantle is not the only perfect place to prop a painting. Bookshelves are always enhanced by artwork. I recently spotted this great bookcase styled by the inimitable Traci Zeller. Love it!

And let's not forget the humble kitchen counter. I love seeing a painting tucked under the kitchen cabinets. It takes an otherwise dead space, and completely enlivens it. Here's what the talented folks at Huff Harrington did in their Paris apartment:


Photo: Huff Harrington Home and Paris Perfect Rentals


The moral of the story: Small is Grand!


No comments:

Post a Comment