Saturday, June 18, 2016

Orchids--A New Series

"Jesse's Orchids"
20 x 20, Oil on Canvas
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
(SOLD)
It all began very innocently. An artist in my building, the very talented John Seibels Walker, gave me an orchid. He was leaving the country for a few months, and wanted to find a good home for this lovely plant. Well...

"First Orchid"
12 x 9, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
(Available)

I had never painted an orchid, but as this one sat in my studio, it drew me in. Immediately above you see my first painting. Can you tell that I was fascinated with the pot?? I learned that orchids can be a difficult subject. The base, or pot, is typically very small compared to 
the cascade of flowers above. It can make for a very top-heavy composition if you're not careful. In this first painting, I lowered the flowers closer to the pot, and I didn't think it looked quite natural. I loved the pot, but not the flower.

"Much Ado"
20 x 12, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
(Available)

Next time (above), I decided to be more bold. I had to put aside my fears of all that empty space between the pot and the blooms. Many painters, myself included, are intimidated by large swaths of empty space. But I persevered--the nature of the orchid is that the flowers floate WAY above the foliage at the base. I liked this painting. Now I was inspired to do more. So...

"Orchid Dance"
24 x 20, Oil on Canvas
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
SOLD

I had a lovely orchid at home, given to me by a friend and dressed in the inimitable Jesse Campbell style. Jesse himself was a Charlotte institution, known for his way with flowers and especially with orchids. Sadly, he was killed in January of this year. I did the top painting as an ode to Jesse. I consider it a tribute to the lasting beauty that he brought to us through his floral work.

The last painting pictured is Jesse's orchid, turned in the opposite direction. I was pleased with the variations in the whites that I managed to achieve. Now perhaps it will be on to some more boldly colored orchids...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment