Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Ode to Paris

"Along the Seine"
18 x 18, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
Available

Reflecting on the year 2016, I keep coming back to one of the highlights--my trip to Paris. Paris is always a feast for the senses, and this time was no exception. There is a constant parade of special art exhibitions, and, beyond what's on display at the museums, the cityscape itself is a work of art. I love to stroll along the banks of the Seine, where the water informs the view, and the vistas are wide open.



"Notre Dame, Apse"
16 x 12, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
SOLD

Whether there are brilliant blue skies or foggy mornings, the views along the river are always stunning. Sometimes I stroll along and just absorb the experience. Other times I roll

up my sleeves and get down to work--I take out my sketch book and scribble away, clambering up and down to explore different points of view. I'm always in search of an intriguing shadow pattern, or an unexpected angle.


"Reflections and Rooflines"
16 x 24, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
Available

All of this exploration provides inspiration for paintings that I develop later in my studio. Here are a few recent works drawn from my visit this spring. Most of these paintings depict views seen from the bridges spanning the Seine or the sidewalks high above the water. The painting below is a waterline view--sketched from low along the river, hearing the water lapping at my feet. Enjoy!


"Water Under the Bridge"
12 x 16, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
Available

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Thank you for taking me on a return trip to Paris with your wonderful talents, Leslie!

    ReplyDelete