Monday, March 13, 2017

My French Kitchen



It's been a while since I posted about what I am working on in my studio, so I thought I would remedy that situation. Lately I have blended my love for fabrics with my love of cooking and vintage kitchenware (especially French wares!). The result is a new series that I am calling the "French Kitchen" series.

"French Kitchen with Hotel Silver"
Oil on Linen, 12 x 16
(c) Lesley Powell 2017


I have hauled a number of favorite  things to the studio: "torchons" (French dishtowels), hotel silver, antique pewter vessels, and a crusty old French cutting board, to name a few. Then the work begins--arranging and re-arranging, until finally there emerges a pleasing
composition. Sometimes it feels like I spend more time arranging the objects than I do painting them! I try to keep the torchon nice and crisp, because I have learned the hard way that a droopy dishtowel can quickly turn a cheery looking composition into a melancholy one. 


"French Kitchen with Red Grapes"
Oil on Linen, 12 x 16
(c) Lesley Powell
My studio has one large window, so I place my still life stand by the window and work entirely by natural light. Working from natural light allows me to see subtle differences among the colors. For an extra challenge, I have been including shiny objects--several silver vessels have become favorite props. Entire articles (and classes!) exist on the "how to's" of painting shiny, reflective surfaces. I have tried to avoid these "how to" materials, because I want to rely on what my own eye tells me, and to avoid being overly influenced by a formulaic approach. There's a lot to be learned. 


"French Kitchen with Grapes in Urn"
Oil on Linen, 12 x 16
(c) Lesley Powell 2017
Hope you've enjoyed learning about this new series! If you like these paintings, please check out more of the series by clicking here. Thanks for taking a look!


No comments:

Post a Comment