Saturday, May 27, 2017

Night Light


(c) Maggie Siner, 2016

Lately my thoughts have been turning to my upcoming painting trip to France. Even though I don't depart for over a month, there are a lot of preparations involved, so it's not too early to start planning. I don't want to travel halfway around the world, and then realize that I forgot to pack something that would have made my work easier!

Week #1 of my trip will be spent in a workshop under the fantastic instruction of Maggie Siner. We will be painting the landscape in Provence. Summer days are long in Provence,
so we will have several painting sessions each day. But if energy permits, we may also try our hand at some nocturnes.



"Bedtime"
(c) Lesley Powell, 2016

The first time Maggie suggested that we go out painting after dinner, I thought she was crazy! But when I saw some of the beautiful nocturnes that my colleagues painted, I was sold on giving it a try. Maggie's painting (top of post) is just breathtaking. You can see more nocturnes by my colleagues in an earlier post, "Wait Until Dark", by clicking here (my apologies--the title of this post was shamelessly stolen from the movie starring Audrey Hepburn).



Unfortunately, on the prior trips, I didn't have any means of lighting my palette or canvas, so I was limited to standing under a street light. Or painting blind--which is basically what I was doing in the painting just above. This year I've gotten smarter. I just bought two battery charged LED lights (see above) to clip to my easel. Ha! It's grand to have some new toys, and I am committed now to saving enough energy after the exertions of the day to take to the easel late at night. Stay tuned...


No comments:

Post a Comment