Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Places I've Been...



Dear Readers, If you noticed that I have allowed more time to elapse than usual between posts, it's because I have been in France on a painting trip. It has been such a joy to paint in the vast and beautiful landscape of the Luberon, where new sights delight the eye at every turn. In fact, the beauty of the place is something that I try not to be too swayed by. Just because a scene is beautiful does not necessarily mean it will make for a good painting!



In the Luberon area of Provence, the land itself is a wonder. Mountain ranges countered with fascinating crevices, sweeping valleys filled with agricultural fields, ancient perched villages, stone structures that date to Roman times--so much to see and paint. I was there
just as the lavender harvest was beginning, but I did find several magnificent lavender fields that begged to be painted.



I spent one week in a painting workshop with the immensely talented Maggie Siner, and the remaining three and a half weeks painting independently. The photo immediately above shows some of our workshop group making our way along the edge of a gigantic lavender field. Just below is an image of the painting I did there. Stay tuned--now that I am back to my normal routine, I will be posting more specifics about the trip, as well as images of some of the paintings I brought home. A bientot!

"House in the Lavender"
Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2017
(SOLD)





2 comments:

  1. Where do you purchase your reducing glass. I've looked every where for one and am at a loss.
    I would love to be able to travel and paint you are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that the reducing glass has become hard to find! You might look at store.artapprenticeonline.com. Good luck!

      Delete