Thursday, October 19, 2017

Driveritis


"Sloop Chapel"
12 x 8, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2017

Are you familiar with the ailment "driver-itis"? It's a very common affliction among plein air painters. It is characterized by an incessant driving around, looking for the perfect spot to paint. If you have a severe case of driver-itis, you might drive for hours, constantly thinking the the "right" spot is just around the corner. In the end, you don't get any painting done, and you spend the whole day in your car.

You may think this is funny, but it's true! I recently traveled to the North Carolina mountains to participate in a Paint Out to benefit The Crossnore School & Children's Home. Unlike some of the painters, I do not have a home in the mountains, and I am not very familiar with


the territory. In the past, I have come down with driver-itis in this mountain area. This trip, I was determined not to succumb. In fact, I did my first painting (top) right on the campus of the School.

"Welcome to the Lodge!"
8 x 12, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2017
SOLD
There's a saying that a good painter looks for a pretty scene to paint, but a GREAT painter looks for a comfortable place to stand. From that spot, the great painter can make a beautiful painting of almost anything he sees. I try to keep that saying in mind, and strive for greatness.

"Welcome to the Lodge!" (above) shows the gatehouse at the Eseeola Lodge. A proverbial landmark in Linville, NC. It's a lovely setting, with plenty of folks around to alleviate concerns about safety. Best of all, I found a comfortable place to stand in a parking lot across the road. Below is St. John's, above Valle Crucis, NC. I took a  bit of a risk going here, since the area is somewhat remote, and I was all by myself. But I just love this historic old chapel, so I wanted to make the excursion.


"St. John's"
14 x 11, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2017
SOLD

All of these paintings from my trip are now available for purchase at the Crossnore Fine Arts Gallery. Proceeds benefit the Stepping Stones Program, which helps young adult residents of  the Crossnore School move toward independence. Do stop by if you are in the area...or phone the gallery at (828) 733-3144 for more information.


No comments:

Post a Comment