Friday, September 21, 2018

Framed!


Painting: (c) Lesley Powell 2018

I recently ran across a wonderful description of the role of a picture frame: "The art world equivalent of Ginger Rogers--in the sense of making the main attraction look good." (Thanks, J. Peder Zane and the New York Times). Zane goes on to note that the frame is the painting's "essential, but often ignored partner".  He points out that frames subtly shape the viewer's experience of the painting. I might say that sometimes the influence is NOT so subtle.

Painting (c) Lesley Powell

I must confess that I love painting paintings, but I hate the decisions involved in framing them. Would it be better to keep it very simple, or does the painting need a little bit more heft? Should it look rustic, or a bit gussied up? I might know how I would frame a painting for my personal viewing, but if the painting is going to a gallery, I wonder how it will fit with the other works there. And I wonder whether the frame will be a plus or a minus in the eyes of visitors to the gallery.

Painting (c) Lesley Powell

And then there are the whims of fashion and design to consider. As Zane notes, over time, each generation has selected its own frame style to match its sensibilities. Nowadays, the style switches occur far more frequently than once a generation. Sometimes it seems like constant flux. As Heidi Klum says on Project Runway, "One day you're in; the next day you're out." Sad but true.


Example of frame for a work on paper

I suspect that I am not alone in my dread of the framing process. There is something about the life of a painting on the easel that comes into jeopardy when the framing starts. To quote Elizabeth Easton (Director of The Center for Curatorial Leadership):  "In some ways, a painting never looks more beautiful than when it is on its easel, and the artist takes his brush away for the last time. And the frame is part of leaving that moment".


Painting (c) Lesley Powell

So the struggle goes on--to select the Ginger Rogers of frames--just the right one, the one that will enhance the painting, rather than detract from it. To find a frame that  keeps the painting alive, rather than smothering it. I'm illustrating this post with photos of frames I have loved over the years. It's always a thrill when a painting seems to be elevated by its frame, a synergy for which I am constantly striving.  I'd love to hear your own thoughts about framing...


2 comments:

  1. Your article is very interesting thank you. Often when viewing a local art show I feel that the artists work is often lovely but looks very sad hanging due to "under framing" Having put so much work and love into a painting it deserves a frame to enhance the painting not distract or take away from the painting which I so often see......cheap narrow frames, insufficient matting or a frame that becomes a distraction.......it comes down to matter of cost I believe ......or forgetting the beautiful girl needs a beautiful dress to show her off.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's sad but true. Framing can really subtract from a work of art if it's not right.

      Delete