Friday, May 15, 2020

An Apple a Day

"Apples VI"
Oil on Linen, 7 x 10
(c) Lesley Powell 2020
It's official: the apple is fast becoming my own little "Mont Sainte-Victoire".  That's shorthand for saying that I am nearly as obsessed with the apple as Paul Cézanne was with his beloved Mont Sainte-Victoire. You may recall that Cézanne is known for the vast number of paintings in which he portrayed this mountain, which is located near his hometown of Aix-en-Provence (France). Cézanne returned to this motif time and time again, painting the mountain from many different points of view. His work on this subject spanned twenty four years, and he never seemed to tire of it. 


"Montagne Saint-Victoire"
Paul Cézanne, 1890
I may not have mountain vistas near my studio, but I do have apples! [Coincidentally (or not?), apples were another favorite subject of Cézanne]. I have become enthralled by the possibilities of these little spheres. They may seem quite simple, but they are nothing of the sort.  I've especially enjoyed painting the "Honey Crisp" variety, which are a bit variegated, and have swaths of different colors. A good challenge to the eye and to the color mixing skills!

"Apples III"
Oil on Linen, 6 x 9
(c) Lesley Powell 2020
Let it suffice to say that I have run through as much red paint over the past couple of months as I usually use in almost a year. It's been a rewarding time of exploration in the studio. I've used different sources of light--sometimes all natural light, sometime adding an artificial spotlight. I have painted the apples straight on, as well as from different angles. 

"Apples, Backlit"
Oil on Linen, 9 x 9
(c) Lesley Powell 2020
One of the most challenging approaches was the backlit apples (just above). I did a lot of squinting and trying to see colors, which was difficult for these old eyes, given the strong light shining right into them. 

"Apples and Creamer"
Oil on Linen, 8 x 12
(c) Lesley Powell 2020
I doubt I will tire of the apples any time soon. I have started adding an occasional supporting player to the compositions, such as a little cream pitcher, or a pear. Stay tuned to see how this develops...thanks for following along!


No comments:

Post a Comment