Thursday, January 13, 2022

New Life for Old Things

 



I thought that my fellow painters, and non-painters as well, might enjoy seeing how I have repurposed some everyday items to serve a studio function.  Finding new use for things is fun for me.  I guess that's why I am a pack rat.  I tend to ask myself "What can I do with this?", rather than "Can I live without this?"  

A prime example is the standard file folder rack from any office supply store.  It is perfect for holding wet paintings while they dry.  I have several of these, and I also use them for organizing completed paintings from a series.  One rack might be marked "Pears", and another "Apples".  (Another personal fixation is for labeling...).




An easy hack: using garden gloves in the studio.  Peggi Kroll Roberts tipped me off to the Atlas brand, and I find that that they are far superior to disposable latex gloves.  For one thing, you can easily take them on and off (unlike latex gloves, which become sweaty and uncooperative).  For another thing, they last a long time and are more earth-friendly than disposables.





Last winter after my paper white bulbs died, I kept the vase and pebbles they had grown in.  It turns out to be a perfect spot to park wet brushes after I have washed them--they can go bristles down, so the water doesn't run into the ferrule, and the pebbles keep the bristles from resting in any runoff water.  Perfect solution!



Last but not least, there is the little rubber sculpting tool that I was introduced to by Tracy Everly.  Who knew that a simple little thing could be so helpful?!  It's intended for potters and clay artists, but I use it to move paint around, when I don't want the super sharp line of a palette knife.  I like its flexibility and size.  Sort of like an extension of your fingers.

The sculpting tool used to be red.  Now it is the ubiquitous gray that results from accumulating layers of dried paint.  I guess this post goes to prove the old adage that my husband often reminds me of:  "If it CAN get paint on it, it WILL get paint on it."  So true!



No comments:

Post a Comment