Saturday, April 30, 2022

Studios Around the World

 


Table in Cezanne's studio, Aix-en-Provence

Paul Cezanne, Still Life with Fruit Dish

Faithful readers know that I am fascinated by painters' studios. I suspect that even non-painters share this fascination.  It's especially intriguing to visit "preserved" studios of some of the greats from decades (or centuries!) past. If you know an artist's body of work, seeing his or her studio brings a shock of the familiar. What art lover could possibly visit the studio of Cezanne in Aix-en-Provence (seen above), and not recognize  objects from his wonderful still lifes? 




I'm not the only one fascinated by studios and props.  The photographer Joel Meyerowitz has published an entire book dedicated to close ups of the objects in Cezanne's studio.  And that's not all--he also has a book featuring the objects in Giorgio Morandi's studio in Bologna.  Some day I am going to Bologna  to see the studio in person!


Paul Cezanne, "Still Life with Plaster Cupid"


Not that anybody's going to be writing a book about me anytime soon--but I have my own cherished collection of studio props.  The wonky silver-plate teapot from a Maine flea market, the bulbous vase that's shaped a lot like one Morandi had, and of course a full complement of blue and white Chinese export ginger jars (some authentic, some fake).  It's fun to get to know them all, as I observe them very carefully during painting.


Lesley's Objects


I'm closing with a list of artists' studios I have enjoyed visiting, and some that are on my wish list.  If you share the fascination, check them out below. Even those that are reconstructed (noted below) are very evocative.  Each name below is linked to more detailed info, if you care to click on it. Happy touring!


PARIS:  Alberto Giacometti (reconstruction)


                        Antoine Bourdelle  (original)


                        Jean-Jacques Henner (reconstruction)


BOLOGNA: Giorgio Morandi (original)


MADRID:  Joaquin Sorolla (original)


AMSTERDAM:  Rembrandt (virtual tour here) (reconstruction of interior, in original sturcture)




No comments:

Post a Comment