Monday, May 6, 2013

Garments



Left: "In From the Cold", 14 x 7
Right: "Denim Jacket, 12 x 10

If you have been reading my blog, you know that I love to paint in series. I find myself intrigued initially by a particular subject, and then after the first effort, I want to explore the subject more fully. This winter I took that approach in painting a series of garments. Not fancy clothes, just well-worn and well-loved favorites from my own closet.  More info on the trench coat and denim jacket paintings can be found here

Through the years, the idea of a series has captured the imagination of many an artist. One of my favorite still life series is is the Sunflower series by Van Gogh. It is amazing how even so-called "repetitions" of the same subject can be so different from each other, and how the painter can grow in his understanding of the subject with each iteration. Makes me want to take this garment series to the next level!


No comments:

Post a Comment