Monday, May 20, 2013

Painting the Town, Part II

"Barclay House"
7 x 5

If you have been following along, you know that I posted several weeks ago about my plein air painting in the Town of Scottsville, Virginia. It's a lovely little historic village, founded in 1774. I love to paint village scenes--whether in the US or abroad--and so I really enjoyed working in Scottsville.

The above painting features Barclay House, circa 1825. It was the original parsonage for the old church that now serves as the Scottsville Museum. After painting several lovely antebellum homes, I found myself drawn to the odd little step van, which is something of a neighborhood fixture on Harrison Street. I could not resist giving it a go. See the result below.

I used these small plein air studies as springboards for larger paintings of the same subjects. I hope to post again soon and show the studies alongside the larger paintings.

"Step Van"
6 x 8


No comments:

Post a Comment