Sunday, June 16, 2013

More in the Garments Series


"Summer Dress"
16 x 8
SOLD

When I wrote earlier about my "Garment Series", I promised to post additional images from the series. The painting above, "Summer Dress", was the latest in the series. In the cold of a February day, I pulled this favorite summer frock out of my closet, and took it to the studio for inspiration. I could almost feel the warm summer breezes while I worked on it. I used a studio lamp to illuminate the dress and highlight the folds. It makes the colors warmer and really "ups" the contrasts. The painting below was painted in natural light, without any studio lighting.


"My Apron"
14 x 7
NFS

I have shown the image of my apron before, in my post about Reds. It is such a fun and personal image, that I wanted to include it when writing about the garment series. This is my painting apron, which is the first thing I reach for when I enter my studio, and the last thing I return to its place before I leave. Why red? I inherited several of these from my late aunt and uncle. They had the red aprons specially made to wear when serving Christmas meals at their company's holiday party. It seems that everything has a story...






No comments:

Post a Comment