Sunday, July 21, 2013

Extreme Nearsightedness


This is a photo of a friend's garden, in the height of its summer glory. It is a joyous profusion of flowers, and it also has a nice geometry. I have planned for some time to paint it, but so far I have not made good on my plans. 

When painting a scene like this, I always try to simplify the landscape to make it more "painterly". I aim to use strategic shapes of color to lead your eye through the painting. A great aid in this approach is my extreme nearsightedness. Yes, you read that right. I realized that if I take my glasses off, I can see only the basic shapes and colors. Voila! the key to simplifying the landscape is revealed! The scene appears to me a lot like the photo below, only blurrier.


This nearsighted view virtually guarantees that I won't get bogged down in the details of the scene. There is no temptation to "tighten up" and draw individual stepping stones or flowers when you can't even see them. I have used this "technique" many times in plein air painting, and it is immensely helpful. I feel like I have turned a weakness into a strength when I do this. With a secret weapon like this, who wants lasik??




No comments:

Post a Comment