Monday, September 23, 2013

Chateau Love


"Sunwashed Facade, IV"
18 x 18, oil on canvas
While in Provence this summer, I discovered Chateau Bourgane. Our workshop host, David Atkinson, took us there one day to paint. His introduction to the spot was something along these lines: A chateau in Provence is not a fancy thing, like it is in the Loire Valley. No spires and moats--just a large, serviceable structure. This one dates back several centuries, and has lovely grounds, and even a boxwood labyrinth. The grounds have fallen slightly into disrepair, but in a lovely, romantic sort of way. You can see one of David's paintings of the Chateau grounds here.

I loved the Chateau and its surroundings. Like the character in the fairy tale, I left a trail of bread crumbs so I could find my way back. (Actually I took careful notes of the turns and landmarks on the little country roads). Returning after the workshop, I painted this picture of one of the outbuildings, which they call a Pavilion. It is now rented as a gite.

"Countryside Gite"16 x 20, Oil on Linen
I also did this last painting en plein air on the Chateau grounds. I hope to use it as the springboard for some larger paintings in the studio, such as the one pictured at the top of this post. It's wonderful to find a spot that provides so much inspiration!

"Chateau de Bourgane"
8 x 13, Oil on Linen





No comments:

Post a Comment