Sunday, April 13, 2014

Laundry Series

"Ready to Fold"
18 x 18, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2014

SOLD
If you have been following this blog for very long, you may have noticed that I have a fascination with fabrics and how they drape and fall. It started with my Garments Series, and played out further with my Chair Series. Finally I decided to take the plunge and devote myself to a series focused purely on fabric drapery. I remembered a series of black and white photos I did years ago on a laundry basket motif, and became eager to revisit that theme.

"Yellow Sheets"
12 x 16, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2014 
I have loved this series and the challenges it provides. Nicolaides wrote in The Natural Way to Draw about a helpful hint in drawing drapery, He said it helps to see the three dimensionality of the fabric if you imagine a little insect---maybe a ladybug--crawling across it, and see that the bug will disappear completely at times beneath the folds. Great imagery!

"Laundry Day"
12 x 16, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2014

SOLD

I am not finished exploring this theme, so keep your eyes open for more to come. Meanwhile, you can check out details on these paintings here.

No comments:

Post a Comment