Friday, June 20, 2014

Painting the Pink Cadillac

"Ready Mix Plant"
12 x 9, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2014

Several years ago, I participated in a workshop taught by Peggi Kroll Roberts. Peggi is a very talented teacher and artist from California. She told us a story that I will never forget. It holds a large lesson--perhaps not only for painting, but also for life.

Peggi told about being in a workshop in a beautiful location. The group was taken to a painting spot with beautiful, distant mountain vistas from one viewpoint, and lovely rolling countryside from another. Everybody rushed to set up their easels and start to paint the gorgeous mountain vista. A few chose the rolling pastures. 

Peggi started with the mountains, but could not get a good start. She grew nervous, and picked up her easel to move to the pasture view to try that. On the way, she passed an old pink Cadillac parked along the road, and thought it looked really cool. When she got to the pasture view, she again struggled with her painting and was not making progress. Growing desperate by now, she moved her easel back to the mountain view. Again passing the Cadillac, and again thinking how much she liked the lines of it...

Back to the mountain vista, Peggi continued to be discouraged. She was growing frantic. Finally a light went off, and she said to herself, "I don't care if I am in a spot chosen for its natural beauty--and everybody else is painting the lovely landscape--I love that Cadillac, and that's what I'm going to paint!" 

Peggi's Cadillac painting turned out to be quite a success. It was everybody's favorite of the day. I always try to remember this lesson: paint what grabs you! The painting pictured above is my own "pink Cadillac" from the recent Paint Out in the Blue Ridge mountains. It is one I was itching to paint, especially after so many bucolic mountain vistas! The image below shows another "Pink Cadillac Moment" that I had during a workshop in France. All that sweeping countryside, I wanted to paint the clean-up sink in the studio. Strange leanings...



"Clean up Sink"
8 x 6, Oil on Canvas
(c) Lesley Powell 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment