Sunday, August 3, 2014

Limestone Cliffs of Lioux



What a sight--near the Provencal village of Lioux, a huge limestone rock formation that can be seen for miles away. This one is a natural phenomenon---not made by man's quarrying, but instead cleft during some architectonic shift of the earth's plates in prehistoric times. I later learned
that it is called the "Falaise de la Madeleine".

We were lucky to be at Lioux when the lavender below the cliffs was in full flower. What a sight---the rocks rising up like a stone curtain at the end of a long field of lavender. First prize for capturing the rocks among our group surely went to Aeron Mack. She used various techniques, including mottling her paint with masking tape, to create an almost touchable sense of the rocks (see below). Very creative!


Painting by Aeron Mack
Denise Folmar took a completely different point of view. Her painting (below) was a beautiful rendition of the cliffs. So colorful, and yet so true to the real thing.

Painting by Denise Folmar


And we all thought that the painting by Sheryl Roach (below) was out of the ballpark. Yes, indeed, this one was a home run. Congratulations, Sheryl

Painting by Sheryl Roach

Far from hitting a home run, I personally struck out at Lioux. I didn't even bring my painting home with me---I concluded that it did not merit the space in my suitcase. It's not the first time that I have crashed on these cliffs. Oh, well. There's always next year... Meanwhile,  stay tuned for the next post, in which I get some of my painting mojo back.


No comments:

Post a Comment