Saturday, October 25, 2014

Art means WORK

"The Lacemaker"
Johannes Vermeer, 1675
Two years ago, I discovered the quotation you will find below. I saw it posted on the wall of a local pediatric cancer clinic, in the arts area operated by volunteers from Arts for Life

The quote really resonated with me. I was raised in a family where one of my father's favorite sayings was
"Any job worth doing is worth doing well." You might say I have a strong work ethic. So I guess it was only natural that I would be drawn to these words. Here they are:

Art means WORK

Beyond the qualities of creativity, self-expression, and communication,
Art is a type of work.
This is what art has been from the beginning.
Through art, children learn the meaning of joy of work--
Work done to the best of one's ability,
for its own sake,
for the satisfaction of a job well done.

Work is one of the noblest expressions of the human spirit,
and art is the visible evidence
of work carried to the highest possible level.
"The Floor Scrapers"
Gustave Caillebotte, 1875

PS: Arts for Life credits these words to the National Art Education Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment