Thursday, October 16, 2014

Manual Labor


Lately I have been muttering to myself  "A painter's work is never done!" I know many painters sing the same refrain--if only we could spend all of our time actually PAINTING! But alas, there are many more tasks involved in our work. One distinctly unglamorous job is
transporting paintings from one location to another. Paintings can be unwieldy, and one small slip can do serious damage. Thank goodness for freight elevators and dollys.  




This week I have been engaged in another delicate operation. I am mounting a group of small paintings in preparation for my annual "Small Gems" benefit sale, which will be launched early next month.  I have a number of lovely paintings on beautiful Belgian linen, all of which need to be mounted on hard board. None of them are standard dimensions. The mounting process involves careful measuring (down to 1/8 of an inch), a table saw (my husband's domain), archival adhesive, an Xacto knife, a certain amount of manual dexterity, and large quantities of patience. Here is a painting face down, in the early phases of the process:



And here is a painting just mounted, getting ready to be brayed (smoothed down). Note my fancy brayer--also known as a good old-fashioned rolling pin! I find that it works just as well as the more expensive and specialized tools.


I am eager to share the finished products with you. Stay tuned--I plan to give a "Sneak Preview" of the Small Gems sale to my blog readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment