Saturday, November 8, 2014

Urban Revitalization

"Yonkers"
Edward Hopper
I have always loved the urban landscape. Though I have never lived in a huge metropolis, I have always lived within two miles of downtown--be the town small or large. Lately I have been painting the urban scene near my studio, in the SouthEnd of Charlotte. As I have done so, I have reflected on
painters who have come before me, and whose work in the urban landscape is especially inspiring.   


"Sunday Morning"
Edward Hopper
Of course, we all think of Edward Hopper when we think of modern urban scenes. Many of his urban scenes are stark, and conjure up thoughts of isolation. "Sunday Morning" (just above) is old that ilk. But his Yonkers painting (top) seems very lively to me, full of hustle and bustle. I love the sense of activity in that one.


"Waterloo Bridge, London"
Claude Monet
Long before Edward Hopper, the Impressionists were among the first to paint scenes of contemporary urban life. In fact, one of the hallmarks of the Impressionist movement was the ability to find beauty in everyday scenes, including those that one might call the "dark underbelly" of industrializing areas.  Monet's paintings in London, such as the one above, are just one example of an urban subject by a painter who is perhaps more well know for his bucolic garden scenes.

And while we are looking at French paintings, I must mention one of the most iconic urban paintings of the era--Gustave Caillebotte's street scene in Paris, below.


"Paris Street, Rainy Day"
Gustave Caillebotte, 1877
I can't help but notice certain similarities between the Caillebotte painting and this one by the American Childe Hassam--same rainy city atmosphere, but this one is in Boston. Do you suppose that Hassam had seen the Caillebotte painting?? 


"Rainy Day; Boston"
Childe Hassam, 1885
Back to the 20th century, George Bellows was known for his bold images of urban life in New York City. I will close with a couple of his works...but stay tuned...this post barely scratches the surface of all the wonderful urban masters, so there is more to come!


"The Bridge, Blackwell's Island"
George Bellows, 1909

"Blue Morning"
George Bellows, 1909

No comments:

Post a Comment