Thursday, January 29, 2015

Glory in the Ordinary



Cold winter weather is the ideal time for still life work in my studio. Sure, I love to travel and to paint on location. But sometimes, as Dorothy would say, "There's no place like home." This month, I decided to use some very ordinary--even ugly!--things from my daily life, and try to make a beautiful painting of them. As I was taking down the greenery that I had used for Christmas decoration in my house, I was fascinated by the dead magnolia leaves. Yes, dead leaves. They had such a marvelous curviness, and the browned backs of the leaves made a great contrast with the fronts. I guess it takes a girl from the South to love magnolia leaves like this!



I grabbed an orange from the kitchen, and voila! I had a simple, and in my opinion beautiful, still life composition. Even the photo (sorry it's blurry) was pleasing. You can see my drawing above. I gave my brush free rein to explore the shapes of the leaves and the dance they seemed to do. The finished painting is below.

"January"
9 x 12, oil on linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2015
In reflecting on this painting, I was reminded of Frank Hobbs' comment that "Your life's work lies in the courtyard just outside your house." Indeed, that is exactly where I found these leaves. I will share a quotation from Henry James that Hobbs mentioned in his interview. Great words to live by.

Take what there is, 
and use it,
without waiting forever in vain
for the preconceived...





No comments:

Post a Comment