Saturday, April 11, 2015

Backsides

"Artisan Station, Backside"
12 x 9, oil on linen
(c) Lesley Powell, 2014
Time for a little levity. My painting of the Dilworth Artisan Station (above) was just juried into the "Carolina's Got Art!" salon show. I am thrilled and honored to have a painting accepted into the show. But I know all too well that with thousands of entries to parse through, the juror's decisions can be somewhat random, so I remind myself that it could just have easily gone the other way.

One of the richest comments on my painting came from a colleague with a great sense of humor. (I hesitate to disclose his name, but his initials are Paul Hastings). He said, "Congratulations! You not only got in to the Show---you got in with a painting
that has "BACKSIDE" in the title!" I have to confess that I did feel a bit sly when I came up with that title. I was thinking of a retrospective exhibit of Felix Vallotton that  I had seen in Paris. I laughed out loud when I turned the corner into one room of the museum, and saw this pairing of paintings:




The titles of these paintings are "The Ham" (1918) and "Study of Buttocks" (1884). As I said to my husband, it's good to know that the curator has a sense of humor!

PS: Stay tuned for details on the Carolina's Got Art! salon show....opens June 5 at Elder Gallery in Charlotte, NC.

No comments:

Post a Comment