Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Slasher

I've been doing some spring cleaning at the studio, and that has meant that I've been slashing some old, unsuccessful canvases. Seems a good time to re-visit an earlier post on that topic--I could not say it better now.


I once heard somebody explain the difference between professional photographers and the rest of us -- the professionals only show 1% of the photos they shoot. 

I don't think that the "reject rate" for professional painters is as high as 99%, but I do know that all painters create some bad paintings from time to time. Jane Barton has written a wonderful post on this topic, entitled "Is there a Heaven for Paintings?" She talked about what becomes of unsuccessful paintings. She offered many suggestions, including
cutting up old canvases to make bookmarks for friends. The bookmarks idea is by far the most creative and unusual reincarnation I have heard of for old paintings!

Several years ago I attended a workshop with Kevin Macpherson. If you are not familiar with Kevin, he is a Master Signature Member of OPA (Oil Painters of America), and a Master Artist in the AIS (American Impressionist Society). Kevin told us that he built a bonfire at the end of every year, and experienced the catharsis of throwing his bad canvases into the flames. But first he would cut out successful parts of the canvases...little fragments that would become seeds of future paintings. Now if an artist like Kevin Macpherson has failed paintings, I know that I am in very good company when mine fall flat! And it's encouraging to know that even in defeat, one can find the seeds of success.

I have discovered that one of the highest and best uses of my failed paintings is to turn the canvases upside down, sand them down a bit, and paint over them. Here is a photo of a canvas being put to that use:




I don't even remember what the original subject was, but I loved working over the old painting. I like having something to "work against". Plus the old painting sometimes gives me great clues for improving the new one. I occasionally have the fun of letting some of the old painting peek through the finished new painting.

The image below is the final product from this "paint over". I would never have chosen some of the beautiful oranges in this one had it not been for nudges given me by the failed painting underneath.

"Winter Sun in the Living Room"
18 x 18
NFS

I often paint on oil primed linen panels. When I realize that a fresh painting is beyond salvation, I just wipe it off. The wiped down panel is usually a nice, neutral, medium toned grey. A perfect surface for the next painting. When my husband asks what I painted that day, I say "It was a wipe out". And I mean it both literally and figuratively. But then, tomorrow is another day, as a famous Southern belle once said.


No comments:

Post a Comment