Friday, May 15, 2015

Going Big



Many times I paint a small painting that, when finished, continues to intrigue me with further possibilities. Perhaps there were more elements to the subject than I could capture in a single painting. Or perhaps the light changed so much during the course of my painting session that the afternoon presented an entirely different subject than the morning did. Or perhaps it is as inexplicable as
the little voice within that keeps asking "What if...??"

"Forest Hill, Early Spring"
12 x 9, oil on linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2015
(Available)
At times like this, I often use the first painting as a springboard to a larger painting. I may return to my studio and use the canvas painted on location, along with some sketches and reference photos, as nudges toward the larger work. This post is an illustration of that process. The top photo shows my easel set-up on location. It was a beautiful day in very early spring, before the trees had leafed out. The second photo shows the painting that I completed that day on location. It measures 12 x 9 inches. Just below is the larger work:

"Majestic Oak"
18 x 18, oil on canvas
(c) Lesley Powell 2015
(Available Here)
I was first drawn to the negative spaces created among the three branches. I was also intrigued by the juxtaposition of the tree against the house. In particular, I loved the wild, irregular bends and curves of the tree branches, as contrasted with the straight, Georgian lines of the house. I also loved the darkness of the tree trunk agains the bright side of the house. I often tend to make architecture a focal point in my paintings, but this time I wanted the tree to be the show stopper. I have an open invitation to return to the scene of the crime, so I may give this one a try in a different season. There remains much to explore...

No comments:

Post a Comment