Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Sorolla Museum

Sorolla Museum
All Photos (c) Meredith Lincoln, 2015
A friend of mine just visited Madrid, and spent some time at the Sorolla Museum. If you have been reading my blog for a while, you know that I am a great admirer of  the Spanish Impressionist painter Joaquin Sorolla. I have long wanted to visit the museum that was once his home, and I was thrilled with the photos my friend sent me from her visit. I immediately wanted to share them with you! You can tell from the images that my friend, Meredith Lincoln, is an accomplished photographer with a wonderful eye. The top photo shows Sorolla's studio--can you imagine working in such a wonderful space? And yet Sorolla painted primarily outdoors on location. I remember that Sorolla said
""As far as outdoor work is concerned, a studio is only a garage; a place in which to store paintings and repair them, never a place in which to paint them." 




The museum was Sorolla's homeplace until his death in 1923. It became a public museum in 1932, after the death of his widow, and is still furnished as it was during the artist's lifetime. I loved Meredith's detail shots of Sorolla's tools. An artist lovingly tends his tools, and I wish I had containers like these for my brushes. And oh, the paint that palette has seen! Looks like Sorolla even had a sleeping area built in--he was a famous workaholic, and I can imagine him having a hard time tearing himself away from the studio.




I will close with a few shots of Sorolla's paintings that are on display in the museum, as well as some photos of the living spaces in the home. Thanks for these great images, Meredith! For those of us who can't travel to Madrid, there is a virtual tour online here. Enjoy!








And just for kicks---here is a painting by Sorolla himself, featuring the garden at his home. This spot proved to be an inspiration for a number of his paintings.








No comments:

Post a Comment