Monday, June 15, 2015

Find Me If You Can

Home of Elizabeth Mayhew's client
Photo by Annie Schlechter
I recently read an article in the Washington Post about displaying art. The author, Elizabeth Mayhew, is an interior designer and author of a book (FLIP for Decorating!). She wrote in the Washington Post about the challenge of decorating for a client who is an art advisor. This particular client is a serious art collector who believes that the art should be the main statement in her living space. In this client's opinion, furnishings, fabrics, paint colors, and accessories
 should all take a back seat to the artwork. Her perspective is that of a gallerist: the artwork should hang on white walls with nothing to interfere with it. Each piece should have its own, un-interfered-with space.

Elizabeth Mayhew's bookshelves
As you might imagine, Elizabeth (the designer) had a somewhat different point of view. She likes to use art and objects "to fill out rooms and create an interesting, layered tableau".  She enjoys grouping pictures together in visually interesting arrangements. 

I liked the way that the author expressed the difference between herself and the client. Elizabeth said that the client filled her home with artwork that said "Hey, Look at Me!". On the other hand, Elizabeth's own art says "I am here, if you can find me"


Designed by Suzanne Kasler
I believe that most of my paintings belong to the latter group. They tend to be smaller in scale, and with a quieter voice than many "statement pieces". I sometimes think of this distinction as the difference between a piece of art that SHOUTS, and one that whispers. I'm closing with a few photos of art (not my own) that whispers. Find me if you can...


Design by Phoebe Howard

No comments:

Post a Comment