Thursday, July 21, 2016

Painting in Provence

"Through the Door"
10 x 8, Oil on Paper
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
(SOLD)

Greetings from sunny Provence! I am wrapping up a few weeks of painting here in the South of France, and wanted to share some favorite moments from the trip. Soon I will be back home, and I plan a series of posts focused on the trip.

I began the journey by spending a few days in Aix-en-Provence. I rented an apartment in the heart of the old town. Even though my building was in a busy part of town, it was located


a ways off the street, along a little pathway that you entered through an ancient door and gate. Inside the gate was a lovely little garden. So of course I had to paint the entry gate. And the garden path leading up to the house. 

"Front Door, Les Cigales"
12 x 8, Oil on Paper
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
(available)

These were painted on paper, a very "thirsty" surface that dries quickly. One trick of the trade that I have learned is that paper is great to carry when you travel (much lighter than canvas or linen). I have a favorite brand that I can only find here in France, so it was a pleasure to break into a new stash! Stay tuned for more images from the trip...

2 comments:

  1. what is the paper that is your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a paper made by Canson for oil and acrylic. It's prepared and ready to use, and it has a linen canvas texture. 140 lb. weight. It's called "Figueras", and comes in various sizes.

      Delete