Friday, July 8, 2016

Strolling in Sonoma

"Cottage Garden"
14 x 14, Oil on Canvas
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
(Available)

I have recently been working on a new series of paintings, inspired by the sidewalks of Sonoma. During my recent visit, I was enthralled by the beautiful gardens there. Strolling along the sidewalks was a feast for the senses, with a profusion of colorful flowers. Some of my favorites were picket fenced yards with flowers spilling out. I made a few color notes, sketches, and photographs, and have been reliving the scenes back in my studio. My goal
has been to abstract these scenes and to distill out the essence of my experience. 


"Sunny Sidewalk"
18 x 18, Oil on Canvas
(c) Lesley Powell
(Available)

I don't want to draw every flower or every picket in the fence!. That's no fun! In fact, I think it would be tedious. Instead, I want to make a picture that leaves something to the imagination, so that you are invited to complete the painting in your own mind. But it's not easy to find just the right way to simplify the landscape to portray you personal experience.

"First Day of Summer"
18 x 18, Oil on Canvas
(c) Lesley Powell 2016
(Available)

I have favorite parts in each painting of this series. I can't decide which is my favorite. You choose---what's your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment