Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Happy Trails

(c) Sherrie Russ Levine, 2016
I am not usually much of a hiker, but I found myself taking to the trail during the recent workshop in Provence. Our host took us to a beautiful spot on one of the "Grand Randonnee" trails (loosely translated as "Grand Hiking" trails, and commonly known as  the "GR" trails). I learned that this system of hiking trails crisscrosses the entire country of France (see a map here). You can cover the whole territory on foot, on a network of marked and cleared hiking trails. 


(c) Jane Robertson, 2016

I loved the spot we painted. It had many of my key criteria for outdoor painting: (1) a cool, shady spot to stand (the shade cover lasted until about noon, long enough for a full morning's painting session); (2) a choice of multiple different views and compositions; and

(3) safety from traffic, well off the highway, but not trespassing on private property. Can't ask for more than that! For the curious, we were on the GR 6--click here for an ariel view.


(c) Bob Dodson, 2016

My fellow workshop painters must have liked this spot too, because some wonderful paintings came out of our morning there. The top painting is from Sherrie Russ Levine. What gorgeous work! This was one of my favorite paintings from the workshop. Very painterly, and with a wonderful sense of depth. Sherrie really captured the vista beautifully.

The second painting is from Jane Robertson. She went big with this one--and boy did it turn out well. I can almost smell the lavender! Beautiful shapes and color relationships. Bob Dodson chose a composition that did not include the lavender fields (just above). He portrayed the scene with a delicious series of green hues, and rewarded us with that beautiful lavender toned mountain in the distance. Well done! Just below is a second, smaller painting that Bob did that day. It's fun to see how he took an entirely different view and zoomed in on the farmhouse in the valley--and the lavender rows.


(c) Bob Dodson, 2016

I chose a vertical composition, and tried to go big. This one is 25 inches tall--quite sizable for the field, at least for me. I have to confess that I have done some re-working of this canvas since I returned home, to correct a few problems that were evident in the field but that I did not have time to address at that moment. I'm still not completely satisfied, and work on it is still underway, but I consider it a victory to have covered such a large canvas on location.  

(c) Lesley Powell, 2016

And now, sadly, the posts on the workshop in Provence must come to an end. I could not think of a better way to conclude the workshop series than with this topic, and the refrain of "Happy Trails to You, Until we Meet Again" keeps running through my head! I do miss my painting colleagues and the stimulation of the workshop, and hope that one day we will convene again. Meanwhile, stay tuned for other topics of note. Thanks for reading!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such fond memories Lesley. Happy Trails indeed...until we meet again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice memoirs of us all. Thanks Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading, Sherrie and Robyn. The blog can't do justice to the workshop, but it does stimulate some memories and provide inspiration for the future!

    ReplyDelete