Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Have I Lost my Edge?

"Polished Teapot"
9 x 12, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2016

Have I lost my edge? I'm not using the phrase in the conventional way, in which  losing one's edge is negative. Instead, I'm talking about a very painterly concept, in which lost edges are highly desirable. In fact, one of the key features of a strong and interesting painting is the presence of different types of edges. Some edges are sharp, some edges are blurry, and some edges can be completely "lost". 


"Silver and Lemons"
12 x 16, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2016

What exactly is a "lost edge"? It is a place where there is literally no delineation between two different things. I love a lost edge! It lets the viewer fill in the missing information, and

thus it engages everybody in the artistic process. In fact, Lori Woodward has written that the mark of a professional painting is several lost edges. The contrast between the lost edges and the sharp edges makes the painting sing. And the different edge qualities are also useful for pushing some objects back (by losing edges) and bringing some objects forward (by using sharp edges). No question about it--edge manipulation is an important tool of the painter!

It might sound simple, but losing edges in a painting is not always easy. See if you can find the lost edges in the two paintings above.  I will give a prize to the person who finds the most lost edges! It's like a little treasure hunt. In case you want some help, I have identified several lost edges in the "cheat sheets" below. Happy Hunting!








No comments:

Post a Comment