Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Combining Two Loves

"Nude Woman Seated in an Urn"
Auguste Rodin

When I visited the Rodin Museum in Paris, I was struck by what is called Rodin's "assemblage". That is, Rodin often combined different elements which, although not naturally related, spoke to him in some way. Rodin had gathered a collection of fragments from ancient Greece and Rome--both pieces of sculpture and other antiquities, such as urns and vases. These fragments served as a springboard into some of his most interest assemblages (such as that above), in which he combined the classical antiques with his own sculptures.



"Blue Pot"
20 x 12, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2018
Available at Shain Gallery, Charlotte

Alas, I am not as creative or as bounds-breaking as Rodin. But I did think of him recently when I was working on my  series of orchid paintings. Faithful followers know that I love to paint orchids. I really respond to the warm terra cotta of the clay pots that contained the first orchids. But I also have

a strong affinity for blue and white porcelain, of all types. I love 19th century Chinese export porcelain, such as the beautiful blue Canton ware. But the good ole "Blue Willow" pattern is also a favorite.  I'm definitely a member of  the "Blue and White Forever!" club.


"Cascading Blossoms"
Oil on Linen, 18 x 12
(c) Lesley Powell 2018
Available at Huff Harrington Fine Art, Atlanta

Aha! I decided to put the newest orchid into a pretty blue and white cache pot that had been hiding on the props shelf in my studio. The beautiful blue and white really dressed up the orchid. Plus it allowed me to paint two of my favorite things on one canvas. A win-win! It's an especially winning combination because of the contrast in textures--the hard, glazed surface of the porcelain vs. the soft, living orchid leaves and blossoms. Stay tuned as I explore this series further...

No comments:

Post a Comment