Saturday, February 17, 2018

Words to Live By

"Laundry Day"
12 x 16, oil on canvas
(c) Lesley Powell 2018
(Available at Shain Gallery, Charlotte)
I am fresh out of original inspiration today, so I thought I would share some quotations from others. These are words that have special meaning for me. Some of them have become like mantras, which run through my head while I am painting. Others are ones that I quietly ponder in less active moments. Most of these have meaning well beyond the world of painting. I hope you will enjoy them.

"Provence, Distilled: Blue Door"
8 x 6, oil on paper
(c) Lesley Powell 2018
(SOLD)

Simplicity is the final achievement.
After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges
as the crowning reward of art.
--Frederic Chopin

Practicing an art, 
no matter how well or badly,
is a way to make your soul grow.
--Kurt Vonnegut

"Notre Dame, Morning Light"
9 x 12, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2018
(Available)

A picture
is a poem without words.
--Horace

[I]n all the arts
there are usually two things going on at the same time:
the desire to make it new,
and a continuing conversation with the past.
--Julian Barnes






No comments:

Post a Comment