Saturday, March 2, 2019

Working Space


Table in Cezanne's studio, Aix-en-Provence

Paul Cezanne, Still Life with Fruit Dish

I am always fascinated by painter's studios. It's especially intriguing to visit "preserved" studios of some of the great masters in the history of art. If you know an artist's body of work, seeing his or her studio often brings a shock of the familiar. What art lover could possibly visit the studio of Cezanne in Aix-en-Provence (seen in this post), and not recognize some of the objects that feature so prominently in his wonderful still lifes? Not to be missed, not if you love Cezanne, not if you love those apples!




Paul Cezanne, "Still Life with Plaster Cupid"

And of course Cezanne's huge north-facing window makes my heart go pitter-patter. That exposure provides ideal light for painting. I noticed that he had curtains specially arranged
to manage the light as needed. I bet that space gets wonderful, softly diffused light, no matter the time of day.


Cezanne's studio, Aix-en-Provence

I've been thinking a lot about studio spaces lately, because the hundred year old industrial building that houses my own studio has just changed hands. In the past, the building has housed a parachute factory and a mattress manufacturer (I still find sewing needles stuck between the floorboards!), and even provided automobile storage during WW II. I'm not sure what the future may hold, but the new owners have said that they are committed to preserving the space as a haven for artists. I do hope so--my studio there is like a second home to me! A place to slip away and leave distractions behind, while I am absorbed in the mysteries of painting. 


Lesley in her studio
Love the big window in my studio!

I'm concluding with some shots of my own studio. It could use some de-cluttering, but I find comfort in being surrounded by the familiar objects and favorite paintings. Marie Kondo notwithstanding! 

PS: To see another favorite master's studio, check out Sorolla's space here.


No comments:

Post a Comment