Thursday, April 11, 2019

Behind the Scenes


"South End Drive Through"
12 x 12, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2019
(Private Collection)

I've been taking advantage of the warmer spring temperatures over the past several weeks, and have been painting outdoors. My studio is located in Charlotte's historic South End, so I can just walk out my door carrying my portable easel like a backpack, and I don't have to go far to find lots of interesting things to paint.


"Miller Services, Midday"
12 x 18, Oil on Panel
(c) Lesley Powell 2019

Walking along the light rail line, I usually see the backs of buildings. It's become a favorite motif for me. I know what time of day the facades are in sun, and what time they are in shadow. I can arrange my schedule to get the best view for the painting I have in mind. It feels like these latest works
have morphed into a true series. A friend has planted the seed that I might call the series "Behind the Scenes".


"Loading Docks, Quiet Morning"
7 x 14, Oil on Linen, mounted on Panel
(c) Lesley Powell 2018
Available through Vision Gallery

When I choose a subject, I'm looking for big shapes of shadow and light. It's especially important that the dark shapes form a pleasing pattern. I don't care too much about making a "portrait" of a specific building. Instead, I want to convey the sense of place and the experience of seeing it. As Martha Armstrong says, "The motivation in painting is not to get a representation, but to bear witness to seeing."



"South End, Walgreens' Back Door"
12 x 9, Oil on Linen Panel
(c) Lesley Powell 2019

One thing I love seeing along the rail line is all the geometry. I like the strong shapes of the buildings, and the drama of the angular shadows they cast. I even like the squares and rectangles that are dumpsters and utility outbuildings. I'm always trying to think in terms of shapes of colors, and not in terms of "things". In other words, my mental dialog goes something like, "OK, now I see a green rectangle over there"--not, "Now I see a hedge". 


"Sycamore Brewing III"
6 x 10, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2019
I'm also trying to eliminate unnecessary detail. There is a lot of visual clutter outdoors, especially in urban scenes. Eliminating extraneous things requires me to focus on what my visual experience is really about. It's a great challenge--thanks for taking a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment