Friday, May 16, 2014

Berries and Brahms


"Best Berries"
6 x 10, oil on linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2014
Strawberries were on sale last week, and I could not resist a big carton of them for the studio. I was looking for a still life inspiration that would allow me to play with my reds, and wanted to venture afield from the beautiful radishes I have enjoyed painting over the winter. I set up a couple of different still life compositions with the berries, and turned up
Brahms on the CD player. Specifically his Piano Concerto No. 2 in B flat, which is said by some to be grander than any of the great piano concerti.

"Big Berry"
5 x 7, oil on linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2014
Last week, I felt like some energetic music would help me be more energetic with my paintbrush. Music is often helpful in amping up my energy level. When I watch a live performance, I am always struck by the physicality of the soloists. Whether playing the violin or the piano, the whole body of the musician is involved in creating the sounds. Listening in my studio, I imagine the violinist bending and swaying with the instrument, or the pianist bounding back off the keyboard after an especially energetic passage. (If you don't know what I mean, just watch the first minute or two of this performance of the Brahms). 

You can judge from the finished products pictured here whether I brought the energy in the paintings!


No comments:

Post a Comment