Thursday, May 8, 2014

Keep a Bag Packed!



With plein air season and travel season upon us, I am following the advice they give to expectant mothers: Keep a bag packed by the door!

Here's what's in my bag:

Portable easel + palette (I use a Jullian half easel)
Supports (rolled canvas and/or panels)(I use RayMar panels, or make them myself)
Paints (see bottom photo if you are flying with paints)
Brushes
Palette knife
Medium (excluding flammable spirits, if flying)
Odorless mineral spirits (but not if flying!)

Airtight container for solvent, with screen or coil for cleaning brushes
Rags or paper towels
Plastic bags for trash
Board to clip loose canvas on
Clips
Masking tape
Rubber bands
Tarp to spread on ground
Standing bag for supplies (pictured above--a Smith & Hawken brand)
Umbrella outfit (I use the one by Artwork Essentials)
Wet panel carrier (if using panels) (I use RayMar brand)

Viewfinder
Compass
Mirror (see why here)
Measuring tape
Scissors/Pliers/Screwdriver (all purpose tool)

Wide-brimmed hat
Apron--with lots of pockets!
Gloves
Bug spray
Sunscreen 
Rain resistant windbreaker

Sketchpad
Pencils, charcoal, other drawing stuff

Business cards

(Hint: I even print this list as a packing checklist before a big trip).

It sounds like a lot of paraphernalia, but once you get into the swing of it, you know exactly what position everything occupies, and it simplifies the painting process. Plein air painting is hard in the best of situations--impossible if you are fumbling around looking for things, or worse, if you are poorly equipped once you get out in the field! 




I'd love to hear from you if you have other thoughts or suggestions about outfitting for painting outdoors...

PS: If I am flying with paints, I put them in checked luggage, double bagged in zip-lock bags, with this label prominently displayed.






No comments:

Post a Comment