Monday, May 19, 2014

The Frame Game




Over the past few years, there seems to have been a shift away from the tried-and-true gold tone frames that held sway for such a long time. Lately I have been using frames

with darker finishes and more streamlined profiles. But I have held on to the older frames, hoping to find a new life for them.



Thankfully, I have a good friend and fellow painter who used to own a faux finishing business. With her encouragement, and armed with some of her special glaze recipes, I have been repurposing my old gold frames. I am very pleased with the results. I have been able to take some of the thickest frames (such as the one on the left in the top photo) and remove their "inner" frame, thus creating two frames from one. The frame on the right in the top photo is the painted and glazed outer portion of the original frame. The frame pictured below is the inner part of the original frame.





An additional benefit is that I can customize the frame finish to suit the painting. Who says you can't teach an old frame new tricks??


No comments:

Post a Comment