Saturday, September 12, 2015

Roman Empire

"Still Standing"
16 x 12, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2015
This summer, I became fascinated with Romans' influence on the south of France. From the pattern of the fields, to the ancient stone bridges, the mark of the ancient Roman Empire cannot be missed. These sights brought back memories of a trip I took to Italy some years ago. Specifically, I kept recalling a visit to Carsulae--one of the most impressive architectural ruins in Italy.*

"Ruins"
12 x 16, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2015
I visited Carsulae on an extremely hot day, with a cloudless, cobalt blue sky. I love to explore ruins, and to ruminate on what might have happened there. I wonder who might have walked those paths, and imagine how spectacular the ancient structures must have been. Besides the mysteries of the past that the ruins evoke, I also love
the pure visual stimulation they provide. The contrast of the fallen, tumbled-down rocks against the strong lines of the standing arches is wonderful. Contrast is always a feast for the senses---rough and smooth, natural and hewn, random and organized, alive and inert--these juxtapositions are the stuff that art is made of.


"Antiquity"
16 x 12, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2015
I tried to capture these contrasts in this series of paintings. The paintings are based on reference photos that I took of my favorite spots at Carsulae. Enjoy!


*Carsulae was settled in 300 BC. It became a major town when the ancient Roman road, the via Flaminia, was built around 220 BC. Later it was abandoned, probably due to a severe earthquake. It remained deserted for centuries. Not until 1951 did serious archaeological work begin on the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment