Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Two Tents

Greek Festival I
12 x 12, Oil on Board
(c) Lesley Powell 2015
It's that time of the year again in Charlotte--the annual YIASOU! Greek Festival starts tomorrow (September 10, 2015). I drive by the site every day, and I have become completely entranced by the bright blue and white striped tents erected for the Festival. I've always loved the architecture of the Greek Orthodox church, and now I am obsessed with these boldly striped tents. I keep returning to the site to paint the tents from different angles. (I am reminded of the joke about the woman who complained to her psychiatrist that she could not stop dreaming about teepees and wigwams. His diagnosis: "Too tense". HA!).

"Greek Festival II"
Oil on Paper
(c) Lesley Powell 2015
The top painting was my first one. Love the brightness and freshness, but
the proportions are all wrong. That's what I get for trying to squeeze a vertical composition onto a square board. And the tent appears one dimensional, because I am looking at it straight on. Lesson learned: Take two was from a different angle, at a time of day when the tents had a sunny side and a shady side. Much more effective. I like the tents in this one, and the cupola is nice, but the proportions are still not right. Oh well, at least it was a good color study! Loved the glow on the shadow side of the tower.

"Greek Festival III"
Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2015
On the third try, I worked in the studio from the plein air paintings, as well as sketches done on location and reference photos. I chose a canvas that is twice as tall as it is wide. With plenty of vertical space, I finally got the bell tower to the right height! And the scene looked a little lonely without any people at the festival, so I suggested some figures. Now all that remains is a visit to the Festival for some baklava...  Yiasou!


No comments:

Post a Comment