Sunday, November 1, 2015

On the Rocks

"Ruins"
12 x 16, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2015
I've been reflecting on the paintings I have completed over the past six months, and I realized that I have been stuck on the rocks. Literally! Without any express intention to do so, I have developed a body of work that features all different sorts of rock formations. Hmmmm. A peculiar fixation, no?

"Ochre Quarry I"
6 x 13, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2015
In France this summer, I painted colorful rock formations at an abandoned ochre quarry. Love these other-worldly shapes and colors. From there, I went on to paint
a series of Roman ruins from Italy. All with rocks as a prominent feature.

"Land's End"
12 x 12, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2015
My last painting trip was to Maine. Talk about some fantastic rock formations--these have fascinated painters through the years. Maine's rocky shores are a visual feast, and they inspired many of my paintings. (See more from Maine here).


"Still Standing"
16 x 12, Oil on Linen
(c) Lesley Powell 2015
Some of these rocks are natural. Others have been hewn by the hand of man. All are beautiful. There is only one fitting thing to conclude: "Rock On!"


No comments:

Post a Comment