Friday, October 18, 2013

Cafes of Paris

"La Source" cafe, Paris
(c) Lesley Powell 2013
Ever since arriving in Paris, I have been suffering "cafe envy". I walk by and hear the clatter of the dishware, the chatter of voices, the smells of coffee and coissants--and I long to be sitting right there myself with friends. My favorite cafes are located on corners, with generous awnings wrapping around the intersection.

This cafe, La Source, is one I walk past every day. I checked out the light conditions at various times of day, and decided it was a morning motif. When we finally got a sunny morning, I rushed out to try to capture the scene. Here I am loaded with my gear on the way out the door:


This was a moment when I could really appreciate the benefit of painting en plein air. I could see the sweep of the sun as it washed the side of the building. The shadows were so cool. The dappled light on the red awning so fast-changing. I could never have gotten this from a photo! I even found a spot to stand that did not interfere with pedestrian traffic or draw attention from passers-by.


Stay tuned for the "reveal" of the final painting...

No comments:

Post a Comment