Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Sketching at the Louvre

At the Louvre

Who needs models when you can draw from sculptures like these?? We had another rainy day, and my friend Marie and I met at the Louvre to sketch in the sculpture galleries. What a humbling experience! Drawing is, for me, a discipline that requires constant attention. I crumpled up several very expensive pieces of paper (frustration!), and resolved to devote more time to my drawing skills (hope!). 



I stayed at the Louvre all day. Sketching got harder as the day wore on, partly because I was growing tired, and partly because the museum was growing crowded. It was like trying to concentrate in the middle of Grand Central Station, with lots of curious on-lookers. Still, I ended up with one or two interesting things that will make the trip home. I particularly liked this sketch of the funerary lion (above), which is from classical Athens, and dates from 350 BC. 








No comments:

Post a Comment