Monday, October 21, 2013

Drawing at the Musee d'Orsay


My friend Marie and I had another drawing session last week--this time at the Musee d'Orsay. Unbeknownst to me, Marie snapped this photo. It shows me working on a "blind contour" of the sculpture. I was inspired to work on blind contours by reading "The Natural Way to Draw", by Kimon NicolaidesIn a blind contour, you look only at the subject, and you move your pencil along with your eye, as your eye travels the contours of the subject. No looking down at the paper!

The idea of working on blind contours is to let your pencil point "become" your eye. It is also intended to help involve your sense of touch in your drawing. As your eye travels the contours of the subject, you imagine touching those contours, and you try to be guided more by the sense of touch than by sight.

Let's just say that I can get some very "interesting" results...and not the sort that one wants to publish on one's blog! But I take heart--as Nicolaides says, "Don't worry if your studies do not look like anything else called a drawing that you have ever seen. You should not care what your work looks like as long as you spend your time trying." It's all a process...

No comments:

Post a Comment